Crawford&Black - 36 Colouring Pencils X Review

 

I needed some new colouring pencils and The Works had a sale on so I managed to get some Crawford&Black colouring pencils for £3 which I didn't think was bad for 36 colours and a sharpener. I've only tried their sketchbooks which I really like the quality of, for the price they're amazing and was interested to try their other products.  

I did a swatch for you below, the colours are in the order that they are in the packaging; not in rainbow colour order but an order of cools and warms which I quite liked as it's different. Not all brands have a good cool to warm ratio and I think the colour selection is great. The packaging doesn't have any names on them but I don't really mind since there's a colour order to them. 

The consistency is kinda hard at first and the colour pay off is nice on some colours; I didn't press on that hard for the swatches in hind sight I probably should have but I wanted to see what they're like naturally without pressure. The swatch was pretty good but the real test is colouring in a picture with them. 

To make sure I tested them properly I decided to colour in a colouring book, pressing on harder than I did in the swatch. I found that the lighter colours for example light blue barely showed up in contrast to the green I used so I decided to layer a different shade of blue to better see the colour difference.  

I've not really experimented with coloured pencils in my work but I like to use them for colouring books. I find coloured pencils take a lot of patience as you have to press down hard and the colour pay off isn't that of felt tips for example, which is fine if you're going for a lighter vibe but I prefer more intense/vibrant colours to create with so that's why I haven't used them in my work so far, who knows maybe one day i'll want a softer vibe.   

Overall these Crawford & Black 36 colouring pencils are not worth £6, they're alright for £3 however.  The colours did layer on top of each other nicely and these would be perfect for beginners/children but not for an artist. Would I buy them again? Probably not I just don't use coloured pencils that often but I'd be interested to see what their other stuff is like because their sketchbooks are really good value for money.

Have you ever tried a Crawford&Black art product? If so, what were your thoughts?

Till next time,

Stevie x 

Comments

Follow

Popular posts from this blog

Habits To Combat Anxiety, Depression and Low Self-Esteem X Mental Health Monday

Live For The Moment X Mental Health Monday