Cognitive Behavioural Therapy X Mental Health Monday

Happy world mental health day, today's topic is about a type of talking therapy called CBT for short. 

As I've mentioned a few times already I've had CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) sessions, and i'm huge believer in the efficacy of it's healing abilities. 

'Therapy IS self-care. And therapy can be a part of a treatment plan which is the approach I've had, but it can also be a form of self-care that you do for your own personal growth; you don't have to only go if somethings wrong you can pay for private therapies just as a from of self-care where you increase self awareness and live a more fulfilling life.' CBT guides you to find out why it went wrong and provides strategies to avoid it happening again. It's personally tailored to your needs so it's not a one shoe fits all scenario quite the opposite. CBT is free in the UK to anyone that needs it but there is a huge waiting list. 

I first started CBT in late 2018 through uni (so there was no waiting list) and i'd never heard of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or even considered the possibility of me ever taking part in any kind of therapy, but it just sorta happened after a well-being tutor recommended that they offer it. It was everything I needed and more. Because I didn't have the words I asked if I could paint what was going as this seemed easier and gave a starting point to explain, from this I was taking part in two forms of therapy at the same time. Art as therapy at home and a talking therapy (CBT) at uni. So i'm entirely self taught in therapeutic art, everything I know about creating art for mental health has originated from thoughts and feelings I needed to express. Cosmic Creative Bits was born as a result of starting CBT! 

By the time I finished CBT in 2019 I was healing at a super fast rate, partly because of the art but the strategies and information provided really were life changing. Having a good therapist is important, one that you find you connect with easily makes the process completely different to it being like speaking to a doctor where there's no connection. I was really lucky to have a therapist who seemed amazing that went above and beyond for me, I have so much gratitude I wouldn't be here today doing this if it wasn't for them. Unfortunately for me my old therapist decided to leave the uni after my first year and work for the NHS as a proper therapist, and I had another person at uni in my 2nd year trying to provide CBT but it just wasn't the same, we didn't connect and I stopped taking part and focused on continuing to create art instead. 

Anyways this wasn't the only time I've had CBT, in early 2021 I tried to do CBT again through the doctors links to a service which because of COVID was a phone call service but once again it wasn't the same, I didn't connect with the therapist and it was just a reminder of what I already knew but was no longer effective for what I was facing. An unsuccessful attempt. 

In mid to late 2021 I started to have a psychotic episode which was severe for around 8 months, the home based treatment team directed me to an early intervention prevention service in late 2021 which was in person, weekly meetings so while I waited for CBT to be available I had counselling (for around 8 months) which is a tamer version of CBT but doesn't challenge you or help you figure out things it's just for venting and processing experiences. I also started medication to help with my symptoms. After a long wait, in 2022 I finally started what I consider to be intensive cognitive behavioural therapy sessions, with a therapist I did connect with. We're making really good progress and i'm finally starting to heal again. 

Have you ever tried therapy?

Till next time,

Stevie x 

Comments

Follow

Popular posts from this blog

Crawford&Black - 36 Colouring Pencils X Review

Habits To Combat Anxiety, Depression and Low Self-Esteem X Mental Health Monday

Live For The Moment X Mental Health Monday